At first glance, Levering Mill Hall is a remarkable old hall with a grand foyer and ballroom. But it is much more than an historic building; in fact, the club has helped shape history.
Originally, Levering Mill Hall was founded as The Woman's Club of Bala Cynwyd by nine members in 1912 as a contemporary of the Neighborhood Club of Bala Cynwyd. By 1915, most of the volunteers at the newly opened Bala Cynwyd Library were Woman's Club members, who carried on the library's work for nearly a decade, including the construction of its very own building. The Woman's Club also organized a sewing and knitting service that became the Bala Cynwyd branch of the Red Cross in 1916. By this time, the club had organized into the following departments: Civics, Education, Suffrage and Reading.
During these early years, meetings were held at members' home or local churches. That changed in 1922, when the club purchased its present lot. Five years later, the club was formally dedicated.
During the depression, the club established a sewing group to repair used clothing for needy families. This was the forerunner to the thrift shop that stood where I-76 crosses Belmont Avenue today.
Profits supported the social service league, and the club also provided hot lunches to schoolchildren. During World War II, no one sold more war bonds in Montgomery County than the Woman's Club. In 1942, the club began a tradition that would last for 60 years, holding its first Antiques Show, an annual event that brought the entire community and beyond to the Club.
In 2016, The Woman's Club of Bala Cynwyd donated its two buildings; the ballroom and the library, to The Merion Foundation, managers of The Merion Tribute House. The properties, to be known as the Levering Mill Tribute House (Ballroom and Library), will continue to be used as an event and community meeting space. The Merion Foundation has plans to improve the properties at Levering Mill House inside and out.
We Would Love to Have You Visit Soon!
382 Bala Ave, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
(c) 2016 Levering Mill House. All Rights Reserved.